I love avocados. Understatement. I’m obsessed with avocados! Lately that obsession has been in the form of avocado toast. It’s filling and ridiculously easy to make. Which is great when I want breakfast but don’t have much time to cook.
This recipe combines my two other loves, spicy smoked ghost pepper flakes and garlic. Ghost pepper (Bhoot Jolokia), hailing from India, is one of the spiciest peppers out there. I love the smokiness of these flakes. Note, I think this is a seasonal product and not always available year round at Trader Joe’s. I tend to stock up on a couple of these when I do see it in the stores as I use it frequently in my cooking.
This recipe also uses grated garlic as it’s way more potent than minced and it keeps the consistency smooth. The flavors blend into something crazy awesome.
First toast up two slices of bread.
I like to do this on the stove. But you can use a toaster as well. Personal preference. I butter the bread and toast each slice for two minutes until it’s golden brown. Buttering the toasted bread is key to the base flavor of this recipe.
Next mash up a whole avocado with 1 grated clove garlic, 1/4 tsp Trader Joe’s smoked ghost pepper flakes, pinch cayenne and salt and pepper to taste. If you can handle your spice, feel free to add more ghost pepper.
Be careful when handling the ghost pepper flakes. I stupidly got some on my hands and then touched my face and it burned like crazy!
By the way, anyone else get really excited when the avocado is perfectly ripe? I hate waiting for those suckers to ripen. I feel like it’s an evil joke nature plays. The one I used in this recipe was perfection. Felt like things aligned well!
Once everything is mashed and smooth, divide amongst the toasted bread and spread evenly.
Smoked Ghost Pepper and Garlic Avocado Toast
- 2 slices sourdough bread
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 avocado
- 1 clove garlic grated
- 1/4 tsp Trader Joe’s Smoked Ghost Pepper Chili Flakes
- Pinch cayenne
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- Toast and butter bread. If toasting stove top, bring pan to medium heat. Butter both sides of bread and toast each side for 2 min or until golden brown. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Mash 1 avocado with grated garlic, 1/4 tsp ghost pepper flakes, pinch cayenne until smooth. Season with salt and black pepper to taste. Feel free to add or cut back on ghost pepper flakes depending on spice tolerance.
- Divide between two slices of bread and spread smoothly.